Have you ever heard the saying “cat’s pajamas” (aka really good)? I have been trying to explain what this means to my 5 year old. Why we say it, I don’t know! I wanted to make a recipe that would further explain this age old saying. The Recipe Redux challenge this month was patties. I came up with a fabulous veggie combo. These are filled with carrots, zucchini, quinoa, garlic, and garbanzo bean flour. All whole food ingredients in one patty! So from a nutrition standpoint, these patties are the “cat’s pajamas”!
Need more reasons why my Carrot, Zucchini and Quinoa Patties are the Cat’s Pajamas?
One medium carrot has 25 calories and 2 grams of fiber. They are filled with Vitamin A, getting 200% of your RDA in one medium carrot.
One medium zucchini has 35 calories and 2 grams of fiber. It is an excellent source of managanese which helps protect your tissues but it is also a good source of Vitamin C. Two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, that help maintain healthy eyesight are also present in zucchini.
Quinoa, also known as “the mother grain”, is the highest of all protein, 6 grams per 1/4 cup serving. It is also a complete protein, meaning all amino acids are present. Quinoa is actually a seed and is related to the beet, swiss chard, and spinach families and naturally gluten free. It contains larger amounts of Calcium Vitamin E, Magnesium, Zinc, and Potassium than other grains.
Garbanzo bean flour has 110 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 6 grams of protein in a 1/4 cup. It’s insoluble fiber is great for the digestive tract. It is a great alternative for gluten free baking and cooking.
- 2 cups of shredded or grated carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, grated or shredded in food processor
- 1/2 medium onion, grated or shredded in food processor
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 8-10 Tablespoons garbanzo bean flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a sheet pan and set aside.
- Combine garbanzo bean flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Combine veggies and press out water with a dry cloth or towel.
- Add salt, spices and slightly beaten egg to vegetables and combine.
- Mix flour mixture and vegetables together.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mixture onto sheet pan and press down making it around 1/4 inch thick disc. Pan will hold 12 scoops.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until patty releases from parchment paper.
- Flip and bake another 15-20 minutes or until done or releases from paper.
- Serve with a dollop of mayo combined w/ sriracha, lemon juice, and minced garlic.
Do you have a favorite patty recipe? Check out some more great patty recipes from the fabulous Reduxers below.