Tis’ the season for slow cooking! My slow cooker is one of my essential kitchen appliances that I use year round. It’s such a life saver for me because I am a busy mom of two. After two o’clock each day, I am shuttling kids, trying to get dinner on the table, and supervising homework. Soccer practice and dance lessons have detoured dinner more than once, so having a hot meal ready when I walk in the door is a blessing. I have recently moved across the pond for a short duration of time and the influence of German, French, and Italian cuisine is heavy in this area. I have been making Southern style pot roast for a long time, but it’s hard to ignore beef bourguignon in Europe. I chose to make it with a rub and twist all my own. It easily goes into the crock pot and makes a easy, healthy, and delicious meal. I made this one especially for my dad, who is visiting, and turns 71 today. I can’t think of a greater gift, can you?
The USDA has issued recommendations for using a slow cooker. It’s important to know that you need to thaw your meat before placing in a slow cooker to prevent foodborne illness. Also, make sure your lid is on properly and don’t forget to turn on your slow cooker. I have done that twice. It’s not fun to come home to uncooked meat.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe? If you need more ideas, check out my fellow reduxers below.
- 3.5-4 lb. round roast
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 small spanish onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 - 8 ounce bag baby carrots
- 1/2 cup basil, diced
- 8 ounce container sliced mushrooms
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup good red wine
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Combine onion powder, garlic salt, oregano, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Place carrots, tomatoes, basil, wine, and stock to slow cooker.
- Heat a pan on high heat.
- Rub roast with herb rub.
- Place 2 Tbsp of olive oil in pan and sear roast on all sides.
- Once roast is seared, set aside.
- Place onions and leeks in pan and cook until translucent. Place in the slow cooker.
- Place roast in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Add mushrooms and replace lid and cook for another 2 hours.
- Remove roast and slice.
- Pour vegetables and juice over roast.
- Garnish with fresh basil.