Black beans and chocolate? That was the first thought that came to mind when I saw this recipe, but it really is quite genius. This delicious gluten free treat is completely flour-less, and contains 1/2 cup cocoa powder. A meta analysis in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, reviewing studies from 1966-2010, showed reduced LDL (or bad cholesterol) and total cholesterol in 10 clinical trials when given flavonol rich cocoa products or dark chocolate from 2-12 weeks. The black beans are the added benefit of this recipe, providing extra protein and soluble fiber which is good for blood sugar, the cardiovascular system, and the digestive tract. Thank you to my colleagues, Janice Bissex and Liz Weiss, Meal Makeover Moms for this recipe from their book, No Whine with Dinner. They also that have tons of other healthy recipes that you should definitely check out on their blog.
Stay tuned for more delicious and healthy chocolate recipes from more of my dietitian friends, and check out 14 Days of Chocolate on Pinterest.
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed very well
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the black beans in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, peppermint extract as desired, baking powder, and salt and process until smooth. Add ¼ cup of the chips and pulse a few times until the chips are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.