Sweet Potatoes are one of my all time favorite foods, especially this time of year. I usually just roast them, but I love to add them to other dishes to boost nutrition. Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A and a good source of Vitamin C.
This month The Recipe Redux theme is creative quick breads. With company rolling in this week, I will be making breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a house full of guests, one with a wheat allergy. I decided to remake my favorite pancake recipe and give it a holiday makeover for my guests.
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Flaxseed, freshly ground or meal
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sweet potato
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup milk or non dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, flax, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, sweet potato, vanilla, milk, and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon a 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet or griddle.
- Flip once batter becomes shiny with bubbles and cook until golden brown.
My dietitian colleagues have more great ideas for creative quick breads. Find them below.