The leaves are falling, the weather is turning cold, and my mouth waters for the flavors of fall. Butternut squash, pumpkin, and sweet potatoes are among my most favorite fall produce. In an effort to expand my kids love for sweet potatoes and to tame their sweet tooth, I came up with these sweet potato pie donuts. Sweet potatoes provide more than a day’s worth of Vitamin A and 35% of the recommended daily amount for Vitamin C. This tuber root is sweeter than other potatoes and can also be purple in color.
- 1 cup Gluten Free Multi Purpose Flour (I use King Arthur)
- 3/ cup whole pecans, ground to make 1/2 cup pecan flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. almond milk
- Heaping 1/2 cup cooked & mashed sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly grease mini donut pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Combine sweet potatoes with egg and liquid ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to sweet potato mixture, stirring as it is being added.
- Stir until ingredients combined.
- Place 1/2 Tablespoon of mixture into mini donut pan, filling 2/3 full of mixture.
- Bake 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from oven when done and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Clean out donut pan and regrease to repeat filling and baking.
Fresh from the oven
Go get your cup of coffee and sit down with these little delights.
Happy Fall, Y’all!