Bye, Bye, 2015! You went by faster than I had expected. December was such a blur! 2016 awaits! If you are getting together with friends or family, ring in the new year with some healthy options to snack on. This New Year’s veggie tray would be a super easy hit among the crowd. Make it as big or small as you want or need. You can serve it with a Greek yogurt based ranch dip.
My Black Eyed Pea Salsa has been featured on here before, but I added a little update. Black eyed peas are considered good luck as you start the new year, especially in the Southern United States. The New Year’s tradition dates back to Civil War days. As a Southerner, I don’t miss my peas on New Years! I just prefer them in an updated way.
- 2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 & 1/2 cucumbers, peeled & diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Adobo seasoning
- Garlic salt &/or kosher salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the cans or black eyed peas.
- Place cilantro leaves, jalapeno, lime juice and lemon juice in a small food processor and pulse on low until in fine pieces. Set aside.
- After veggies are chopped, add the veggies and peas in a large bowl.
- Fold in cilantro/pepper mixture, Adobo seasoning, and garlic salt.
- Serve with chips of choice or use as a side dish.
Need more Black Eyed Pea recipes? Don’t miss my Hoppin’ John Remake with Quinoa
Until we meet again in 2016! I wish you a healthy and happy new year! There are great things coming, so stay tuned!