I ‘heart’ February! Not only is it Heart Month, but Valentine’s Day! Do you know your risk for heart disease can be reduced by eating healthy? Check out the American Heart Association’s Risk Factors.
Snacking is on the rise. Making poor choices, especially on the go, can sabotage your best efforts to losing weight or getting healthier. It’s easy to indulge in all the sweet treats surrounding us this time of year. Making grab and go snack items and keeping them on hand will help keep the whole family on track.
My Healthy Heart Munch is fun for kids and adults while providing tons of fiber and antioxidants, while avoiding added sugar. These types of recipes are perfect for little ones to learn how to measure, pour, and stir. Enjoy!
- 1 cup of Heart to Heart Cereal
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place coconut on a baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 5 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine cereal, cherries, cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, and chocolate chips.
- Once coconut has cooled, add to the mix and fold in.
- Place 1/2 cup of mixture in sandwich bag, repeating until 6 bags are filled, so it's easy to grab a snack on the go.