In our house, Wednesday is commissary day (or grocery day for you civilians). My daughter and I tackle this weekly chore together. When I come prepared, I go home happy and under budget with food for the whole week. If I just wing it, I come home with a headache from a tantrum over candy, a lot of random items, and a busted budget.
Grocery shopping takes time and planning. I confess I used to dread coming up with menus every week. I got bored with the same old things or fail to be inspired from the hundreds of cookbooks I own. So one day, I made a plan that has saved me a ton of time and money which I am sharing with you, along with my menu plan and grocery list for the week.
Save Time, Save Money Tips
- Make a favorite meals list and keep it on your computer. Separate it into categories such as chicken, fish, turkey, beef, ground meat, pork, vegetables, salads, fruits, grains, breakfast, lunch, and dessert. You could also do this by theme such as pizza, tacos, stir fry, sandwiches, etc. You can cut, paste and print out your grocery list.
- Try one new recipe a week. Utilize cookbooks, internet, and phone apps to find something fresh and new. I use magazines, cookbooks, and websites for inspiration. I personally like Big Oven, All Recipes, and Whole Foods apps for iPhone for new ideas when I am in a time crunch.
- Clip coupons. Coupons are everywhere. If you buy things weekly, check out the advertising circular, website, and Facebook page for your grocery store. Also check the food company’s webpage or Facebook page for more deals. Coupons.com and militaryshoppers.com are some places to start. (FYI: Some military DECA’s won’t take Smart Source anymore). Also, look for double and triple coupons days at your local grocery store to maximize your savings. Grocery IQ is my favorite app for iPhone coupons.
Our Weekly Dinner Menu
- Turkey stroganoff with whole wheat egg noodles & broccoli
- Make your own pizza night with salad
- Pork chops with rice & zucchini
- Turkey & Dressing with green beans & cranberry sauce
- Baby back ribs with baked potatoes, corn & salad
- New Recipe: Slow cooker chicken cacciatore & pasta (recipe from Cook’s Country Magazine)
- Taco Night with ground beef, shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado, low-fat sour cream, & cheese.
Our Grocery List
Red leaf lettuce
96% lean ground beef
Ground turkey breast
*Turkey and Baby Backs purchased on previous shopping trip.
Strawberry banana yogurt smoothies
Low fat sour cream
Colby Jack string cheese
Organic 2% milk
Gluten Free waffles
In the Aisle
Whole wheat egg noodles
Hard shell corn tacos
Gluten Free corn cereal
Natural peanut butter
Ready made pizza crust