On a recent visit to London, I discovered an express grocery store at King’s Cross station, called M&S Simply Food. It was a tiny grocery store. You had to stand in a line to get through the store until you got to the check out. I have never seen so many healthy and convenient offerings in such a small space. They were all geared toward the traveler. At first, I didn’t like being herded through the store. However, the healthy options were incredible. I got some mango chips with raspberry dip and a spinach and couscous salad with balsamic dressing. My kids got some carrots with hummus and some cheese. All of these items were in a convenient and portion controlled, see through plastic packaging. It’s no wonder that they have boosted their food sales in the last quarter.
Yes, I have been dreaming of my M & S Salad ever since I left England. I wanted to recreate it, but add my own spin. My salad didn’t have chicken but it did have spinach, sunflower seeds, couscous, and pomegranate arils. I wanted this one to have quinoa. I also wanted a really nicely seasoned grilled chicken, layered on a bed of greens and quinoa, with hints of citrus popping from every corner of my plate. I think my mission is accomplished. This salad is amazing! I would like to thank M & S for the inspiration and the healthy options! If you are ever in England, make sure you make a pit stop in M & S Simply Food.
- Grilled Chicken:
- 6 chicken breasts
- Ground Allspice
- Quinoa, 1 cup uncooked
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup julienne carrots
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 2/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 tsp. Ground Allspice
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1.5 lemons, juiced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lime for finishing
- Place 2 cups of water in a saucepan with 1 cup of uncooked quinoa.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- Make dressing: Combine olive oil, lemon & lime juices, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, and honey and mix well. Set aside.
- Place red pepper, cilantro, and carrots in a food processor and combine. Set aside.
- Add mixture to quinoa. Then add pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, and 1 teaspoon of all spice and mix well. Set aside.
- Chicken: Place chicken on parchment paper. Make sure there is enough to fold it over and cover the chicken breasts.
- Cover chicken on both sides with allspice, salt, and paprika.
- Fold parchment over the chicken and pound with a rolling pin until 1/2 inch thick.
- Place chicken on grill. Reduce heat to medium and put top down for 4 minutes.
- Flip chicken and grill for 4 or more minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is firm.
- Let chicken slightly cool and slice on the diagonal.
- Start layering: Place 1 bag of salad on a platter.
- Top with quinoa salad and chicken.
- Squeeze 1 lime over chicken.
- Serve with Honey Citrus Dressing.
UPDATE: YOU CAN SEE THIS RECIPE AT MENFITNESS.COM! CHECK IT OUT!
Pomegranate arils are low in calories and rich in fiber. It’s like jewelry for this salad.
When you start to plate your meal, add the greens first, then the quinoa salad, and top with chicken. A fresh squeeze of lime over it adds just the right touch.
DIG IN! Don’t forget your dressing!