POW! BAM! KABOOM! CALLING ALL SUPERKIDS! It’s National Nutrition Month!
If you are going to educate kids on eating healthy, you can’t show up without an arsenal of “SUPER” powered tools to make nutrition fun for them. In other words, “HERO UP“ or go home. I developed “EAT LIKE A SUPERHERO” for my son’s kindergarten class and used it once again to several classes at my kids’ elementary school this month. It’s basically MyPlate Superhero style! Let me tell you, the kids LOVED it and gobbled up tons of healthy foods!
If you want to do your own “EAT LIKE A SUPERHERO” presentation, stick around because I have some great tools for you! This is an entire elementary school educational kit with a MyPlate graphic and a reading, writing, and math component you can share with the teachers. You can also use this for media segments or in-store displays. Make sure you scroll to the bottom and see all the fun, free printables and pictures of our SUPER time!
1. I started with a black trifold board and cut out a cityscape with a utility knife. I cut out duct tape into squares to add as the city lights.
2. I used the following MyPlate themed graphics to the board. Get the free PDF’s here:
3. I copied the EAT LIKE A SUPERHERO plate and gave one to each child. I also used it on the table with the food. Get the PDF here: EAT LIKE A SUPERHERO 5-30-2013
4. I provided the teachers with the reading, writing, and math worksheets to use in class. These are appropriate for K-2. Get the PDF’s here: SUPERHERO READING 5-30-13 SUPERHERO MATH 6-6-13 SUPERHERO WRITING 5-30-13
5. If you are going to talk about healthy food, you need to feed the kids healthy food. I kept it simple with Thor’s Hammers of Cheese, Captain America’s Fruit Shield, and Hawkeye & Hulk’s Hero Up Veggie Cups. I have also brought different foods to display with the “SUPER” attribute. Get the table tents here: ELAStabletentspage3 ELAStabletentspage2 ELAStabletentspage1
6. Order some SuperHero masks for the kids if you want to take it up a notch. They love them!
I would love to know if you use any of my materials and send me a picture so I can feature you on my Social Media accounts and newsletter! Now, go leap tall buildings in a single bound and teach kids to EAT LIKE A SUPERHERO!