Are you stuck in a meal planning rut? Do you open your fridge and stare inside hoping something delicious pops into your head to whip up for dinner? You are not alone!
Lucky for you, The Recipe Redux theme is freezer meals. I admit I am more of a fresh cook, but that has all changed this year. The school and extracurricular activities have made things a bit more challenging. Freezer meals are really my only option, especially on Monday nights when I need something fast. It’s also a great way to use up summer produce.
Let’s face it, if it’s not easy, I won’t do it. I don’t have time in the evening with 2 kids, dance or football practice, scouts, homework, and a dog. Many times I will default to a taco night or a slow cooked meal. This week I elected to go for a twist on chicken fajitas. These are quick, easy and perfect to pull from the freezer, thaw, and dump into a dish to cook. 30 minutes and dinner is done!
It’s so simple! Cut your veggies.
Slice your chicken breasts.
Season the chicken.
Throw it in a freezer bag with a few add ins. Make sure to label and date it. It’s freezer ready!
Thaw it out, throw it in a dish, and bake it! Dinner is done! A perfect meal for a busy weeknight!
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 limes
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- Head of lettuce
- 1 avocado
- Cilantro for garnish
- Slice onion and peppers into strips.
- Add veggies and garlic to a freezer bag.
- In a separate bowl, combine spices: oregano, paprika, cumin, and salt. Set aside.
- Cut 6 chicken breasts into strips.
- Add spices to chicken breasts and make sure they are covered.
- Place in the same bag as the veggies.
- Juice 2 limes and add to the freezer bag.
- Zip the bag closed and shake to disperse the lime juice.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for an hour.
- Place in the freezer.
- Remove the fajitas the night before you want to cook them and thaw in the fridge.
- Once thawed, place in a 9x13 casserole dish that was sprayed with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze fresh lime over chicken and veggies once removed from the oven.
- Serve with avocado and lettuce leaves.
- Place chicken, veggies, avocado, and cilantro in a single lettuce leaf and roll.
FMI or the Food Marketing Institute also launched National Family Meals Month initiative. A 2013 Harris poll which showed only 30 percent of American families sharing dinner every night was the fuel for this initiative. Their goal is to encourage families to eat just one more meal at home a week. #RaiseYourMitt and make 1 more meal a week. Get great ideas from my fellow Reduxers below.