Breakfast used to be one of my favorite meals of the day. I have to admit that I just don’t want it lately. A cup of coffee and getting 2 kids out the door has left me bored of my normal oatmeal. The Recipe Redux theme, “Break of out Breakfast Boredom”, couldn’t have come at a better time. I needed to look for new inspiration.
I’ve seen a ton of French Toast Casseroles but none that are gluten or dairy free. My new favorite gluten free bread line is Schar. Their brioche is perfect for this recipe. Gluten free bread can be tricky. It doesn’t hold it’s shape as well so letting this sit overnight isn’t an option. I cook this the night before and reheat it in the microwave the next morning. I don’t have time to wait on it to cook in the oven anyway.
- 1 loaf of Schar Gluten Free Brioche, make sure it's been left out at least a day to stale a bit
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups of soy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 bananas, sliced
- About a cup of fresh blueberries
- Spray casserole dish with canola oil spray.
- Cube stale bread and place evenly in casserole dish.
- Sprinkle bananas and blueberries over bread.
- Combine and whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and spices.
- Pour over bread and fruit.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Check after 30 minutes. If the top is browning too fast, top with aluminum foil for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and steal a bite while it's still warm.
- After it's cooled, store in the refrigerator until the morning.
- Reheat in the microwave the next morning.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Need more ideas to break out of your breakfast boredom? Check out what my fellow Reduxers have on the breakfast plates below.