Notice: Undefined variable: url in /home2/supermd2/public_html/wp-content/plugins/twitter-facebook-google-plusone-share/tf_display.php on line 365
Notice: get_bloginfo was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.2.0! The
siteurloption is deprecated for the family of
bloginfo()functions. Use the
urloption instead. in /home2/supermd2/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4080
Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home2/supermd2/public_html/wp-content/plugins/pinterest-pin-it-button-for-images/ppibfi_pinterest.php on line 109
Hello, spring! Birds are chirping, and the cold, dark days are behind me. With the weather changing, I also like to change up my breakfast routine. The Recipe Redux theme is 7 ingredients or less. I usually try to keep it under that especially since my mornings are so busy.
I am also making an effort to use up food more mindfully. Food waste is a huge issue that many us take for granted. I finally saw how much I was throwing away when I started composting. I was really shocked by the amount I trashed in a week. I usually have some ripened bananas on my counter top quite frequently that used to go into the compost bin. Instead of throwing them away, I use them in smoothies or recipes. I actually developed these in Spring of 2014 with some leftover bananas, but never published the recipe. I think they are a cute and delicious way to welcome spring, while decreasing the amount of food I toss.
[Tweet “Welcome Spring w/ these Banana Blueberry #Breakfast Birds Nest! #thereciperedux @BetsyRamirezRD
- 2-3 over ripe medium to large bananas
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- Apricot preserves
- 30 fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas with a fork.
- Mix one egg white to mashed bananas until combined.
- Add almond flour, flaxseed, and oatmeal to banana mixture and mix well.
- Place 2 Tablespoons of mixture on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Make a well in cookies by slightly indenting with a spoon.
- Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Once out of oven, cool slightly.
- Place 1/2 tsp of apricot preserves in middle of each nest.
- Top with 3 fresh blueberries.
For a variation, you can place the preserves and blueberries in before cooking.