Nothing says lovin’ from the oven like a pie! Pie is actually my favorite dessert. I get one for my birthday instead of cake. So when I discovered this month’s Recipe Redux to be pie, I was naturally excited. I am a traditional pie flavor kinda girl. Berry pies are my favorite. My family is in town this month and I wanted to make something portable and single serving size for the 9 people staying at my house.
First, let’s talk pie crust. It may be simple for some, but when it comes to gluten free baking, it’s not that easy. I don’t really have the time to figure it out right now since we are traveling to 2 different countries so I pumped these out quickly using premade crust. It saves time and being in an individual serving, it cuts calories. Hope you enjoy them!
- 2 ready made gluten free pie crusts
- 3 pints of fresh cherries, pitted
- 3 pints of fresh blueberries
- 2 lemons and zest from lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp water
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Use cute cupcake liners and line a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Lay out pie crust and cut large circles. ( I used the top of an oatmeal can for my guide)
- Should make 10-11 circles.
- Place circles down into cupcake holders.
- Place berries in separate saucepans and turn on medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and zest to pan and combine.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp cornstarch to 2 Tbsp water until dissolved.
- Add to blueberry mixture.
- Repeat cornstarch and water and add to cherry mixture.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off and set aside.
- Fill each cupcake liner with 2 Tbsp of berry filling.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once done, place on cooling rack.
- Lay out the 2nd pie crust, cut circles, and put cupcakes liners in the muffin pan.
- Repeat cutting crust and placing them in liners.
- Fill with 2 Tbsp of filling and bake as above.