BOO! It’s me! It’s been awhile. I have taken some time off to focus on my family and plan some vacations. The Recipe Redux theme this month, “SPOOKY SPICES”, made me dig out a ghost of a spice that needed a recipe. This particular spice scares me and stays in the back of my spice cabinet. Why? It’s one hot spice. However, teamed up with the right ingredients, it gives a sneaky kick to some traditional fall flavors.
Both the macaroons and the pudding parfait have more than one surprise. The dry ingredients in this recipe are very simple: pecans, coconut, coffee, cocoa powder, sugar, and cayenne. Your wet ingredients include an egg, vanilla extract, and an avocado. Yes, I said avocado! I promise it goes together quite nicely.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon decaf instant coffee or 1/4 tsp leftover coffee
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, pit, and puree avocado.
- Add cocoa powder, coffee, and cayenne pepper to pureed avocado.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg white, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- Add 1/4 cup avocado mixture to egg mixture and mix well.
- Add coconut and toasted pecans and combine well.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop mixture onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes. (Please note, baking times may vary depending on your oven and if you use convection settings.)
These are so easy to make and are much better than eating spoonfuls of German chocolate frosting which happens to be my favorite. They even make a cute pumpkin, don’t they?
You honestly can’t taste the avocado and the cayenne gives it a tiny kick at the end you aren’t expecting. Of course, you can omit it if you so desire.
You are going to have some left over avocado mixture. I couldn’t think of what do with it until Daiya tweeted out my dairy free, “Not My Mama’s Chocolate Pudding” recipe. Modify the recipe by pureeing one more avocado, adding 2 more Tbsp of cocoa powder (don’t add the 1/2 cup since you all ready have some chocolate mixture), and add 1/4 tsp of instant coffee since you have 1/4 tsp in the previous mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients as listed: honey and dairy free milk. Puree mixture well with the leftover avocado mixture. Toast 1/2 cup coconut and 1/4 cup pecans. Layer the pudding, coconut and pecans. Guten Appetit!
Can you believe this is dairy free? Don’t you want a bite?