Hello, Friday! It’s been a long week! This was my first week taking a online food photography course. WOW, have I been in the dark. I am learning so much and getting to know my camera better and better. Lucky you, you get to see the fruit of my labor. I would love to know if you like the new pictures. I can’t leave you empty handed, so I am sharing this super easy shortcake recipe.
This recipe started out with whoopie pies in mind because I have a shiny new whoopie pie pan. I use King Arthur gluten free flour quite often so I found a strawberry whoopie pie recipe on their website that I modified to make it my own. When they came out of the oven, they were way thicker than I wanted them to be so a shortcake was born. They are the perfect single serving size.
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1//4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp soft Earth Balance Baking Sticks or butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Desired topping: fresh whipped cream, truwhip, or fresh coconut cream
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- Before you get started, make sure you have let your butter or vegan butter soften at room temperature.
- Lightly grease your whoopie pie pan and preheat your oven to 325 degrees. If you don't have a whoopie pie pan, you can line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together.
- Add the egg, lemon zest, and the vanilla extract.
- In a separate combine the flours, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add them to the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the 1/2 cup of milk and mix just until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the whoopie pie wells. If you don't have a whoopie pie pan, scoop the batter onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- After the cakes have cooled, top them with your desired topping and fresh blueberries.
I had a lot of fun trying out different angles and lighting. I also got to try out some new props and placements. I hope you enjoy and these make you hungry for a quick and easy gluten free and dairy free treat for the weekend.
Dig in and enjoy your weekend!